This introductory course gives an awareness of the hazards of handling low risk food.
It provides food handlers with the fundamentals of good food hygiene practice, general food safety controls and procedures.
Half day: 2 hours of classes plus exam
Who should attend?
This course is designed for staff who is not directly involved in the preparation or handling of food but need to have basic knowledge of food hygiene. This includes:
- Front of house employees
- Checkout staff
- Bar workers
- Kitchen porters
If your role involves directly handling or preparing high-risk foods, you will need to take our Level 2 Food Safety course in order to comply with food handler’s legal obligations.
By the end of this course learners will:
- Understand the importance of good food hygiene practices
- Have knowledge of key food hygiene legislation
- Learn more about food safety hazards and their controls
- Understand the importance of effective cleaning and personal hygiene
- Have essential skills and knowledge to prevent food poisoning
- Introduction to Food Safety: food poisoning, its symptoms and food hazards
- Food Safety Hazards: bacteriology
- Prevention of Contamination of Food and Food Poisoning
- Cleaning and Disinfection: what are disinfectants and sanitizers? When to clean and disinfect, clean as you go and scheduled cleaning, cleaning equipment, dealing with rubish
- Personal Hygiene: the importance of personal hygiene, hand washing, protective clothes and illness
- Superior food hygiene
- High quality public/company image
- Reduction in business risk
- Compliance with legal requirements
The 2 hour course includes lectures enhanced by audio/visual material and practical teaching aids.
Delegates are encouraged to actively participate in discussions and group activities.
At the end of the lecture there is an assessment of 20 multiple choice questions.
On successful completion of the course you will be sent an award certificate from Food Alert. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
The next qualification after this Food Safety Awareness Course is the CIEH Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering.