This course is designed for supervisors and managers in a food business who have responsibility for developing a food safety management (HACCP) plan in their business.
The course offers knowledge of food hygiene practice and provides further detail on the controls that can be implemented to ensure that the food handling process is as safe and hygienic as possible.
Minimum of 18 hours of instruction over 3 days
The course is designed for those in a Managerial or Supervisory role such as Unit Managers, Food Managers, Supervisors and Sous Chefs or anyone who require a broader understanding of food safety control in the hospitality sector. It is also ideal for anyone responsible for the HACCP system in a food business.
The course is recommended for anyone responsible for managing people in a food business. It is designed to provide detailed knowledge of food safety principles and practices, through identifying potential hazards to food safety. In providing this knowledge, supervisors and food managers will be able to develop and implement food safety systems appropriate to their workplace.
To equip supervisors with the knowledge, understanding and practical expertise to implement, maintain and monitor good food hygiene procedures. This course will also cover the requirements of HACCP and therefore help companies to demonstrate compliance with the Law.
By the end of this course learners will:
- Have better understanding of food safety procedures
- Understand the key food hygiene legislation
- Understand the concept of food hazards and the risks associated with them
- Be able to implement and supervise a food safety management system
- Understand the techniques involved in controlling and monitoring food safety
- Have knowledge of the risks linked to cross contamination
- Understand the terminology with respect to supervising food safety
- Understand the role that temperature has to play in the control of food safety
- Have better understanding of the importance of supervising high standards of cleaning and be able to implement a cleaning schedule
- Understand the importance of personal hygiene measures
- Understand the importance of training staff
- General introduction to food hygiene: microbiology, factors of bacteria multiplication, threats of food poisoning, prevention of food contamination, types of contamination
- Applying and monitoring good hygiene practice
- Temperature control: various methods of measuring food temperatures, heating and cooling temperatures and stages of cook-chill
- Workplace and equipment design
- Waste disposal, cleaning and disinfection
- Pest control: types of pests, their impact on the workplace and methods to control them
- Personal hygiene standards of staff: importance of good personal hygiene in the work environment and the role of the supervisor in ensuring that
- Contribution to staff training: legal regulations on training and importance of good communications and record keeping
- Implementation of food safety management procedures
- Food safety management tools: detailed analysis of each step of HACCP system
- Food Legislation and Supervisory Management: Legislation in food businesses, how it is enforced, the responsibilities of employers and employees and the concept of due diligence
- An improved reputation among suppliers, clients and partners
- Compliance with legislation
- Improved staff development
- Better business continuity
A minimum of 18 hours instruction over 3 days. The training course includes lectures enhanced by visual materials.
Delegates are encouraged to actively participate in discussions and group activities. Some activities will require independent or group research and the presentation of material.
Flexible delivery to fit in with your needs, can be run at your premises or at our training centre in London.
Examples chosen to suit your needs and industry.
Course delegates are required to sit a 2 hour written examination on the last day of the course.
Successful candidates receive a certificate from the Highfield Awarding Body for Compliance. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
Progression Route: Level 4 Award in Food Safety