This course is designed to help businesses and individuals learn basic first aid skills so that they can recognise emergency situations, treat minor conditions and ensure appropriate action can be taken at the time of an incident.
Who should attend?
This course is suitable to those who wish to learn new first aid skills or refresh their existing skills. No previous qualifications are needed to take this course as all the basic first aid techniques are covered throughout the training.
Anyone who may be left in charge of low risk premises, which do not require a qualified first-aider but must appoint someone that may be required to administer First Aid.
It is also considered best practice for employers to provide information about first aid to their employees.
By the end of this course learners will:
- Be able to recognise emergency situations, treat conditions and reactions and ensure to take appropriate action at the time of an incident
- Posess skills and knowledge to act as emergency first aider in the workplace
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of a first aider
- Have the ability to assess an incident
- Have the ability to demonstrate how to manage an unresponsive casualty
- Be able to recognise and assist a choking casualty
- Manage a casualty with external bleeding, who is in shock, or has a minor injury
- The Role of the First Aider, health & safety regulations, first aid box
- Danger, airway, response and breathing
- Dealing with the unconscious, resuscitation (CPR): how to administer CPR, defribilators, what to consider
- The recovery position
- Choking, wounds and bleeding, shock
- Burns, eye injuries, fractures, dislocations, spinal injuries, amputation
- Asthma, allergic reactions, nose bleeds, diabetes, epilepsy, heart attacks, strokes
- Hyperventilation, fainting, sprains and strains, poisoning, drowning
- Record keeping
- Filled with practical activities and the support of an expert tutor
- Compliance with legislation
- Improved staff development
- Can be tailored to business and candidate needs
- Short duration so as not to disrupt your busy schedule
- Flexible delivery to fit in with your needs, can be run at your premises or at our training centre in London
The course includes lectures enhanced by audio/visual material and practical teaching aids. Delegates are encouraged to actively participate in discussions and group activities.
A minimum of 6 hours instruction over 1 day or 2 half day sessions.
Instructors will use continuous assessment throughout the course to evaluate candidates. Candidates are also required to complete a short multiple choice exam paper.
Successful candidates will receive a certificate from the Highfield Awarding Body for Compliance. This can be used to provide evidence for compliance and audit.
Requalification mandatory every three years